Developing “clean” code is very important for any web / mobile application development firm, and making maintainable, readable, and documented code helps OmniSpear keep a competitive edge and a superior product. Our team has a strong focus on coding standards and cleanliness. This disciplined approach gives both our developers and our clients the benefit of clean, robust, and maintainable code.
As a firm focused on its clients and developers, OmniSpear prides itself on delivering clean, robust, and maintainable code. This is the drive that led us to introduce our own set of coding standards, following best practices as well as some additional “secret sauce”.
Coding Standards are important for a number of reasons. Some reasons include:
- The cost of maintenance is directly affected by the cleanliness and the amount of documentation in the code
- Code sometimes changes ownership, and the cost of cross-training can be expensive. With documented code, there is less training
- And obviously, coding standards improve the quality of code by making it easier to understand and improving readability.
Like any set of rules or guidelines they have to be enforced. Our internal process requires all new code to be checked for standards compliance by another team member before being made live to the customer / world. The time and money spent on doing code reviews has proven time and time again to be well worth it. Some of the core benefits include:
- Another set of eyes on the code / project is insurance for us and our clients. If one our developers goes on vacation or gets hit by a bus, the other developer(s) that did the code review will be able to pick up where they left off.
- We catch all kinds of things! After all we’re human and make mistakes. Two or more sets of eyes is always better than one.